VISITOR SERVICES COORDINATOR AT THE HIGHLANDERS’ MUSEUM
This position will be full-time with weekend working, the provisional working pattern is Wednesday to Sunday. The salary is £21,000 per annum.
The Highlanders’ Museum (THM) tells the story of the Highland Regiments from just after the Battle of Culloden to the present day and is home to the largest collection of military artefacts outside of Edinburgh representing almost 250 years of history.
THM is an Accredited, Visit Scotland 5-star rated, independent military museum situated within Fort George. It is a visitor attraction showcasing highland military history and is the jewel in the crown of the historic fort, which is still a working military barracks. This key historic site is visited by 60,000 people a year.
THM has 7 members of staff and a dedicated team of around 30 volunteers. The Visitor Services Coordinator will be responsible for the smooth running of our front of house operations and ensuring that every visitor is given a warm welcome. THM is open 7 days a week; the Visitor Services Coordinator will be responsible for the Visitor Assistant and volunteers working front of house and for retail operations. They will help monitor the galleries and implement policies and procedures that facilitate a positive visitor experience while maintaining the safety of people and the collection.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Visitor Services Coordinator will oversee the front of house staffing and provide them with training, set an example of exceptional customer service, and take responsibility for an effective retail offer.
- Maintain THM’s reputation for excellent customer service, starting with a warm and friendly greeting for all visitors and contractors.
- Line manage Visitor Assistant including day-to-day supervision and identifying training needs.
- Work with Research & Volunteer Coordinator to deliver training for front of house volunteers.
- Be a keyholder and responsible person at weekends. Be the first to respond to problems faced by the front of house team and visitors by contacting other museum staff as appropriate.
- Monitor museum public spaces, respond to visitor questions, and share feedback with staff team. Ensure museum is safe and always well presented, report any maintenance requirements.
- Ensure Visitor Services Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are kept up to date and all team members confident following them.
- Take responsibility for end of day cash-up, preparing end of day and monthly reports, and re-stocking of shop
- Work with Business Manager and Director to develop a strong retail offer including managing stock levels, merchandising, updating Shopify platform, anticipating customer
trends, and developing high quality, bespoke products in partnership with local makers.
- Be knowledgeable of and actively promote THM’s membership programme, exhibitions, and
- Assist with special events as needed.
For more information about the person specification and how to apply, click below.