Events manager AT THE HIGHLANDERS’ MUSEUM
This position will be full-time with weekend and evening working as required. The salary is £23,000, pro rata. This will be a fixed-term contract for 6 months. The monthly take-home pay will be £1,629.48 from July 2022. The post holder will be required to work on-site at Fort George during event delivery but there is some flexibility available out with those times. This role is funded through Museum and Galleries Scotland’s Museums Recovery Fund.
The Highlanders’ Museum tells the story of the Highland Regiments from just after the Battle of Culloden to the present day and is home to the largest collection of military artefacts outside of Edinburgh representing almost 250 years of history.
The Highlanders’ Museum (THM) is an Accredited, Visit Scotland 5-star rated, independent military museum situated within Fort George. It is a visitor attraction showcasing highland military history and is the jewel in the crown of the historic fort, which is still a working military barracks. This key historic site is visited by 60,000 people a year pre-pandemic.
THM has 7 permanent members of staff and a dedicated team of around 30 volunteers.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Events Manager will oversee the planning and delivery of the current events programme and will put in place an events strategy to ensure that future events are sustainable for the museum given the museum’s resources. The current events plan includes joint Fort-wide summer events and Hallowe’en as well as Gin and Whisky tasting, tea blending and Burn’s Supper in the museum’s private dining room. We would also like to develop a joint Christmas event strategy starting this year.
- Working with the Business Manager and Director to take ownership of the current events.
- Joint working with key stakeholders within Fort George to plan and deliver events.
- Ensuring that the Events Programme meets The Highlanders’ Museum’s objectives and links into other operational activities.
- Manage the Events budget.
- Ensure that all Health & Safety, legal, and best practice standards are met.
- Act as Event Manager during each event.
- Conducting After Action Reviews (AAR) and sharing lessons learned with the team.
- Communicating with all partners and stakeholders.
- Maintain THM’s reputation for excellent customer experiences.
- Ensure Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for events are kept up to date and all team members confident following them.
- Work with team to effectively promote events programme.
- Develop strategy for on-going sustainable events delivery that considers our location and the resources available.
- No line management responsibilities are linked to this role.
- Any other duties commensurate with the role.
For more information and how to apply, click below. You can also view the organisational structure of staff at The Highlanders’ Museum.