VACANCY – Visitor Assistant (Seasonal)
Visitor Assistant (seasonal) AT THE HIGHLANDERS’ MUSEUM
This position will be 3 days a week with weekend working, the provisional working pattern is Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The shift pattern is 0930-1730 and winter is 0900-1700 with 1 hour paid break, taken on site. The salary is £20,592 per annum, pro rata. This will be a fixed-term contract for 3 months over the summer. Monthly pay will be £1029.60 from July 2022. The post holder will be required to work on-site at Fort George.
The Highlanders’ Museum tells the story of the Highland Regiments from just after the Battle of Culloden to the present day and is home to the largest collection of military artefacts outside of Edinburgh representing almost 250 years of history.
The Highlanders’ Museum (THM) is an Accredited, Visit Scotland 5-star rated, independent military museum situated within Fort George. It is a visitor attraction showcasing highland military history and is the jewel in the crown of the historic fort, which is still a working military barracks. This key historic site is visited by 60,000 people a year pre-pandemic.
THM has 7 permanent members of staff and a dedicated team of around 30 volunteers. .
Roles and Responsibilities
The Visitor Services Coordinator will oversee the front of house staffing and provide them with
training, set an example of exceptional customer service, and take responsibility for an effective
- Welcoming visitors and providing excellent customer service for all, starting with a warm and friendly greeting for all visitors and contractors.
- Providing information about the museum including where to go, new exhibitions and children’s activities.
- Reception services for The Highlanders’ Museum both in person and on the telephone.
- Retail sales in the gift shop.
- General retail administration including the cash reconciliation at the end of the day.
- Keeping the gift shop restocked and well presented; moving stock with some heavy lifting required.
- Be a keyholder.
- Monitor museum public spaces, respond to visitor questions, and ensure museum is always well presented.
- Be knowledgeable of and actively promote THM’s membership programme, exhibitions, and events.
- Assist with special events as needed.
- Any other duties commensurate with the role.
For more information and how to apply, click below. You can also view the organisational structure of staff at The Highlanders’ Museum.