In partnership with Historic Environment Scotland, the custodians of Fort George on behalf of the Scottish Government and Ministry of Defence, this great fortification is situated approximately a mile and a half north of the village of Ardersier.
Once inside the Fort the museum is located in the North Staff Block and is Number 10 on the Historic Scotland audio guide.
The museum is spread over the three floors of the former Lieutenant Governor’s House. This means that while we have elegant high ceilings, ornate fireplaces and the sweeping staircase of the original building, we are not easily accessible by people with mobility problems. An assistant controlled stair-lift on the back stairs does offer access to the middle floor, but no such facility is afforded to the top floor as the back stairs do not extend to the upper floor.
We have Museum trails available with various different themes encouraging children to explore the Museum and exhibits. Some of the display cases also have pull out information panels for children to investigate. Our handling collection which is popular with children and adults alike gives visitors the opportunity to try on kilts and other items of military uniform.
The large grass area outside the Museum also makes an excellent impromtu football pitch or a lovely spot to sit down for a picnic.
The museum does not offer catering or toilet facilities. Public toilets are available at the back of the block and light catering facilities are also provided onsite by Historic Environment Scotland. Museum Staff will give directions if required.
Features and Facilities
- The Highlanders’ Museum provides an extensive Research Facility for those seeking information of former “Highlanders” who served in the regiments.
- The Museum cares for and conserves the extensive collection that has been entrusted to it.
- We offer an exciting visitor and tourist attraction as part of the Fort George experience.
- There is an educational and outreach facility available on site.
- Our gift shop has an exciting range of local products and regeminetal gifts for every budget.
- The Museum also has two function rooms available to hire for meetings, receptions, lunches, dinners, weddings, birthday parties, and more.
- Withing the grounds of Fort George is the Regimental Chapel which holds memorials to those who have served in the Regiments alongside many of the old Colours that have been carried into battle.
If you have any questions please feel free to get in contact with the Museum on 0131 310 8701.
Your wedding should be one of the most unforgettable days of your life. Make it a day to remember at the Fort George Chapel and The Highlanders’ Museum.
The Blue Hackle Rooms offer a unique location for weddings, functions, lunches, parties, meetings, and corporate hospitality in the heart of the Highlands.
Our Collection is one the largest regimental display outside London. Founded over 60 years ago, the Museum houses more than 50,000 objects.
The archive at The Highlanders’ Museum (Queen’s Own Highlanders Collection) covers six British regiments & our allied regiments from overseas.